Certified Aquatic Therapy
Aquatic Therapy is one of Karen's passions. She is certified in the following areas:
- Aquatic Arthritis Instructor
- Aquatic Prenatal Instructor
- Aquatic Rehabilitation Instructor
- Aquatic Senior Instructor
- Aquatic "Shape Up & Water Train" Instructor (Weight Management)
- Aquatic Sports Conditioning
- Aquatic Tai-Chi Fitness & Mindful Movement Instructor
Active rehabilitation using a water environment
What is Hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy is active rehabilitation in the water. This form of therapy reduces the pain associated with joint stress and weight bearing by taking advantage of the effects of buoyancy. Exercises can be done in the warm shallow pool, or the cooler deep pool.
What is involved?
An assessment is completed by the physiotherapist at Purcell Physiotherapy in Kimberley. A customized program is then designed by the physiotherapist based on the individual's diagnosis and treatment goals. Clients may attend hydrotherapy sessions for up to 1 hour, multiple times per week in the Kimberley Aquatic Centre*. Treatment may be in a group setting, or the client may be taught an individualized program to complete on their own if applicable.
Who will benefit from Hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy is beneficial for individuals with many different conditions including arthritis, spinal and disc problems, healing fractures, pre- and post-surgery (especially total joint replacement), soft tissue injuries, post-stroke or head injury, balance issues, or obesity.
What can Hydrotherapy do for me?
- Improve muscle strength, endurance, and core stability
- Improve range of movement of joints
- Improve mobility, coordination, and balance (decrease fall risk)
- Improve cardiovascular and respiratory function
- Improve circulation and decrease swelling
- Encourage relaxation and relief of muscle tension
- Encourage movement with less pain
- Encourage weight loss
- Allow early rehabilitation and gait training after injury, illness, or surgery
- Allow 'pre-training' for people waiting for total joint replacement surgery
Move with reduced pain, and improve and maintain fitness levels while recovering form acute and chronic injury
Contact Purcell Physiotherapy for more information on how Aquatic Therapy may positively impact you and your quality of life.